Sunday, August 06, 2017

Secret Buddha Cafe (Burnie NW Tasmania) 08/2017

Perhaps this name means something to someone, certainly I’m not that person.
It’s a small cafe at the entrance to a nursery,

a bit out of the way for a cup of coffee or a a lunch but well attended doubtless because of the nursery.
It occupies a hexagonal shaped room with a central pole supporting the ceiling. I don’t know the architectural term for this shape structure.

Bits of it have been cut across to give room for a ‘boys’ and girls room,

for a fireplace 
and a larger part has been isolated for the kitchen and serving area.
Menus are on blackboards but there is table service.
The furnishing is eclectic auction room or roadside discard style. 
There’s a rack of odd magazines and a local newspaper. Comfortable and unpretentious. I liked it equally as much my waiter’s old and well worn tartan trousers (he didn’t know what clan they represented)
They make there dishes in house but virtually everything is ready to heat, or toast and serve.
I started with the pate.
A good size serve with fetta cheese, cornichons and leaves and plenty of warm toasted baton.

It was straight out of the refrigerator - too cold to be experienced at its best. It was quite lightly seasoned with pleasant taste. The cap of duck fat was easy to remove if desired.
I went on to the sea food chowder. They offered me a half serve.if I wished. I took them up on that so as to try something else.
Stuffed with prawns, mussels, strips of calamari and some salmon in a thick sauce this was very nice but again under seasoned.
for a finale I  had a toasted Panini with mushroom, garlic, lettuce and fetta.
It was as promised with a little red cabbage and bean shoot salad. 
They have an excellent fetta that made the panning a pleasure to eat. The garlic was very good too, just there but not unbalanced.
They served me a good large cup of coffee with a palate cleansing small glass of soda 

but I skipped the cakes and cookies.
It cost me $43 for a very decent lunch.
A beaut little cafe for lunch or a snack.

Score: 13.5/20

No comments: